Wednesday 26 August 2015

The adventure begins..


Wait...What Just Happened?

So unemployment for me lasted a whole two and a half days.  Night shift at Buderim last night (Sunday), 2 hours sleep this morning and I've been offered a contract at Eidsvold in CQ... Starting Thursday... and I'll have to move house before I go.  It'll be an interesting week ahead. 

That aside, I'm so looking forward to seeing some of the iconic architecture Central Queensland has to offer, such as this:


big mandarin


... and this:
Big orange in Gayndah
Only in Australia



So anyway - Long story short, the move went well, I have the most wonderful step father anyone could ask for, and I pulled into Eidsvold Hospital around 6pm last Thursday, relieved to find out that they didn't need me to work THAT night after all.  Six night shifts (plus on call) later: here I am, finally getting around to finishing my first blog post.



The hospital up here has 11 beds (!!!) and an A&E.. room.  It's mostly aged care and outpatients along with some sub-acute admissions, and the occasional emergency. 

On a side note, I had completely forgotten what an ... experience, working in aged care can be.  I think the following gives a sliver of insight into that experience:
Patient: That's what I need.
Me: What's that?
Patient: A white woman with a nice white woman ass like yours.
Me: ...Cheers, mate.
In all honesty though, I am loving it; the patients, the work and the variety.  However! The hour round trip to buy sugar in Mundubbera, because nothing's open on a Sunday, I loved a little less. 

So now it's time for days off, and tomorrow I'm driving to Bundaberg, 2.5hrs away, to get my hair done and sit on my white woman ass at the beach with Anthony Keidis' biography.

Bye for now and I'll leave you with this, because...
What better way is there to start an adventure than listening to a living god on guitar?


Love to you all! xx

3 comments:

  1. OMG. Aren't you an inspiration. Your story reminds me of Transcultural Health at SCU: the nurse at Jigalong,WA.....
    Can we get away with calling you "white-ass girl" from now on?
    Half my family live in Bundaberg, well supported by goverment hand outs, home brew vodka and working wifes. One niece is a hairdresser, another niece just won a silver medal at the WC swimming for under13s. I know that culture over there: All Class!
    Hope all of this adventure enriches your life. I am not sure where I am ending up as yet. Have a contract for Melbourne (Richmond Epworth) Clinical Nurse streaming into Education or Management starting in February. Other options still developing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michael, words cannot describe how much I hated that book in Transcultural Health, she lost my attention when she packed white shirts to work in the Pilbara haha :P I completely agree - Bundy is a lot of fun :) and thank you, I am feeling very enriched already! All the best for your upcoming opportunities, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, but I know you won't need the extra luck, because you'll nail it :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. - I am still struggling with how to pronounce EIDSVOLD. Sound like a town in Scandinavia, you know the feature in Stieg Larson's follow up story with Salander. - The new do looks great on FB! - It is strange, but I already feel so alienated from SCUPH. Like I left there a long, long time ago ... - Keep on blogging if you can. I love to follow your adventures .... TAKE VERY GOOD CARE!

      Delete