Wednesday 17 February 2016

Hallelujah


My car decided to stop accelerating under my lead foot the other day.  Despite my best efforts to fix it myself (ie changing the fuel filter), it's now at the mechanic. So I'm feeling a little bored and little stuck in Biloela at the moment.

But I've started somewhere in the middle.  Let's backtrack.  But first, here's this blog's soundtrack.




Bileola asked me if I could come back to cover someone's leave for a few weeks.  Three days later I'm driving up, relishing the fact I hadn't left the day before and had to face half the highway being underwater.

Everyone was so happy to see me, which was such a great warm and fuzzy feel.  Then they worked a shift with me, and they remember how much of a shit magnet I can be.

Anyway the fun stuff:

I spent one of my days off in Rockhampton.  I went to Yeppoon, it was a bit windy, but it wasn't a bad spot.  As I was walking down to the beach, I heard this young boy probably about 10 or 11 years old, saying to his friends "Whoa, there's some really good waves today".  I thought to myself "Aww, he hasn't been south of 1770"


After the morning in Yeppoon.  I went to The Caves north of Rockhampton.  I'd highly recommend it, it was a pretty incredible experience.





The highlight of the tour is visiting "The Cathedral Cave", a huge cave, with no natural light, and incredible acoustics. They have weddings, opera and all kinds of events in this cave.



Everyone takes a seat, while the guide talks about the acoustics and says "Do we have any singers, would anyone like to sing and try it the acoustics?".  This little kid, probably about 6 or 7 says "Yeah I'll sing".  He gets up on stage, he puffs his chest out, ready to sing.  The whole group is on the edge of their seats, waiting with bated breath to see what he comes up with.  Then we hear:

"Up town, funk you up, uptown funk you up"

Hilarious.

After that the guide played "Hallelujah" (The Rufus Wainwright version) and turned the lights out.  You're sitting in the pitch black dark, listening to the sound bounce off the roof.  It was pretty moving.  Had it been the Jeff Buckley version, I would've cried. 


Aside from that adventure, I've mostly just been having picnics out the usual places; Tannum and Callide Dam.  I did venture up to the scenic lookout as well.

It was overlooking the mine, hmm.

That's about it for now.  My car is now fixed, and I'm on Day 2 of 6 before I can take a trip back to the beach.

BUT!

I'm going to end on a more serious note, because I think this needs sharing after a conversation I had with another nurse after a particularly difficult week here in town.

For nurses everywhere, no matter where you nurse, no matter how long you've been nursing, how many qualifications you have, university or hospital trained, this applies to us all:

If you're questioning whether you should still be nursing, because sometimes it's so fucking hard not to be affected by pain and suffering. To carry on, to keep helping and smiling when you're devastated and crying on the inside.  You most certainly should still be nursing.  The day you're NOT affected, is the day to reconsider your career.  Look after yourselves and work buds, talk about how you're feeling, ask "Are you ok?" and remember all the good we do.


Hallelujah comrades - Life and love are precious, enjoy every fucking minute of it.  

4 comments:

  1. Very poignant. Enjoyed the soundtrack too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Can you get a good coffee out there? You know, life is not the same without a decent coffee. ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Can you get a good coffee out there? You know, life is not the same without a decent coffee. ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. And you're right, good coffee always improves a situation :)

    ReplyDelete